Academic Year 2023/2024 Enrollment/Re-Enrollment Timeline
Parent/Guardian School Information
Enrollment at our school is by application for the 2023-2024 school year, in accordance with California Education Code as it applies to Charter Schools and per our school’s enrollment policy which appears below. Sycamore Creek holds optional tours and information sessions as well for interested parents and/or guardians to learn more about our curriculum which is guided by the Core Principles of Public Waldorf Education. For the 2023-2024 school year, Sycamore Creek will enroll up to 192 students from TK-8th grade.
● Open Enrollment/Re-Enrollment for students began Wednesday February 1st, 2023 at 12 pm PST (noon) and ended Wednesday March 8th at noon. All interested families, including currently enrolled families, were asked to submit an Enrollment Interest Form through our Online portal (see the enrollment tab for the portal link at the bottom of that page).
● Enrollment applications were made available on our website from February 1st, 2023 Wednesday at noon through Wednesday March 8th, 2023 at 12 pm PST (noon) at which time the open enrollment period closed.
Any enrollment applications received after close of the open enrollment period will be offered a spot on a first come, first serve basis after considering applications received during the open enrollment period and lottery.
● It was determined that a Public Random Lottery (weighted) was necessary and was held at 6 pm on Wednesday, March 22nd at 17131 Emerald Lane, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 and on ZOOM
● After the Public Random Lottery selected families were offered a space for the 2023/2024 school year and sent a link to the school registration packet by Friday March 24th, 2023. They will have until Friday April 7th, 2023 at 12 pm PST (noon) to complete the packet. Any open spots thereafter will be offered as determined by their position on the lottery waitlist. Once the lottery waitlist is exhausted new applicants will be offered spots on a first come first serve basis as previously indicated above.
Enrollment Admissions Policy
In order to be considered for enrollment in Transitional Kindergarten, students must turn 5 years old before April 2nd of the year enrolling. Students who turn 5 before June 1st of the year they are entering Kindergarten will enter traditional Kindergarten. Therefore, students who turn 5 between June 1 and February 2, attend two years of Kindergarten, also known as Transitional Kindergarten. The minimum age for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grades: 6yr, 7yr, 8yr, 9yr, 10yr, 11yr, respectively, is by June 1st of the year that the student begins the grade.
The lottery was held as required by law and according to our school’s charter, with preference given in the following order:
1. Students currently attending Sycamore Creek Community Charter School are exempt from the lottery per California Education Code § 47605(d)(2)(B).
2. Pupils from founding families, teachers and staff, not to exceed 10% of the total student population are given the highest preference in the event of a lottery.
3. Siblings of students currently attending Sycamore Creek Community Charter School.
4. Students residing within the boundaries of the attendance area of the school nearest where SCCCS is located (Oak View Elementary)
5. Children who live in the Ocean View School District.
6. All other students residing in California.
An applicant will stay on the appropriate wait list of the year they have applied for, after which time a new application for the following year will need to be submitted.
We do not carry our wait lists forward.
* In-District Residency Requirements Board Policy: The student’s primary residence as of the date of their application AND as of the date of their submission of their completed enrollment packet lies within OVSD. The in-district residence has been the student’s primary residence for at least one month prior to the admission lottery, or the family otherwise demonstrates an intention to continue long-term residency within OVSD. The student’s family provides proof of residency by providing the school with two formal documents.
* According to state law, families are required to be in compliance with SB277 and SB714, a vaccination requirement for students (1) entering TK or Kindergarten for the first time, (2) entering 7th grade, (3) transferring from out-of-state, (4) who do not already have a PBE (personal belief exemption) on file with a California school as of December 31, 2015, or (5) do not have a ME (medical exemption). Full details can be found at: www.shotsforschool.org.
Interested families are encouraged to contact the school for more information regarding our program at email@example.com.